The Association has held its annual reunion in the Chattanooga area since 1947, and will return to The Post in Fort Oglethorpe for its memorial service Sunday, June 13 to honor their fallen members beginning at 11 a.m.
The public is invited to be a part of the 110th Annual 6th U.S. Cavalry Reunion Friday, June 11, by attending a barbecue dinner at the Comfort Inn at 6 p.m. The cost is $10 per person.
Saturday, June 12 the 6th Cavalry Museum will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The reunion banquet follows at 7 p.m. at the Comfort Inn in East Ridge. The cost is $12 per person.
The banquet guest speaker will be Col. Jerry L. Egbert. Egbert recently commanded the 164th Theater Airfield Operations Group (TAOG) and Air Traffic Services Command (ATSCOM). Prior to his retirement earlier this year, he deployed the 164th TAOG to Iraq and Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom rotation 07-09. He commanded 1-6 Cavalry from 2001-2003 in Camp Eagle, Korea. He was the 6th Cavalry Brigade S-3 at Camp Humphreys, Korea from 1997 to 1998, and he commanded A Troop, 6-6 Cavalry in Illesheim, Germany from 1991 through 1993. He joined the Army in 1975 as an airborne infantryman assigned to A/2-505.
The Memorial Service will be held Sunday, June 13 beginning at 11 a.m. at Calvary Memorial Baptist Church in Fort Oglethorpe. Following the church service, guests will move to the flagpole at The Post for the Memorial Service and laying of the wreath at the 6th U.S. Cavalry monument. The monument was dedicated in 1950 by the Association and contains the names of the 94 6th Cavalrymen who gave their lives during World War II. The memorial service will also honor those 6th Cavalry veterans who have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
While the 6th Cavalry is no longer based at Fort Oglethorpe, the regiment regards Fort Oglethorpe as their home base with the 1st Squadron – 6th Cavalry (1/6) attached to the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Carlson, Colo. who returned from Iraq in October 2008. The 2nd Squadron – 6th Cavalry (2/6) is attached to the 25th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. The 4th Squadron – 6th Cavalry (4/6) is attached to the 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Lewis, Wash. and the 6th Squadron – 6th Cavalry (6/6) is attached to the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, N. Y. and deployed to Iraq in September of 2008.
The Post at Fort Oglethorpe opened in 1905 and served as an active military installation through World War II. It was home to several cavalry, infantry and artillery units as well as Civilian Conservation Corp, Southern Military Training Camp, 3rd Women’s Army Corp and finally a redistribution center after the war ended. The 6th Cavalry was permanently stationed there 1919 – 1942, when the Fighting Sixth entered World War II as a mechanized reconnaissance regiment for Patton’s Third Army. Housing the largest Prisoner of War camp for both world wars, field testing the Bantam Car (better known as the Jeep) and other military accomplishments are attributed to the Post. The Post was deemed too small by the Army and closed Dec. 31, 1947. The Post at Fort Oglethorpe was sold for a variety of purposes. The new city of Fort Oglethorpe benefited from the Post closing and was chartered in 1949, making it Georgia’s first new city in 25 years.
Following the memorial service, the public is invited to the museum for tours, living history displays and refreshments until 2 p.m. For more information or to purchase meal tickets call 706-861-2860 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.