The Certificate of Ownership and Agreement allows road improvements to begin on 12.98 miles of the county’s roads. Improvements will be done on Cook Road, Dripping Springs Road, Kemp Road, Old LaFayette Road, and West Cove Road.
County attorney Don Oliver commended state Rep. Mike Snow, D-Chickamauga, and state Sen. Jeff Mullis, R-Chickamauga, for their efforts to get this project funding into Walker County.
“The LARP fund only had a grand total of about $23 million for the whole state for the year,” Oliver said. “For us to get that much mileage is a testi-mony to their efforts. We got way more than our share and I think it’s due to their efforts.”
In other business at the commissioner's Jan. 23 meeting:
* Heiskell signed two Local Government Project agreements with the Georgia Department of Transportation. GDOT will work on the bridge at Happy Valley Road at Chattanooga Creek, four miles south of Rossville, and at the Chattanooga Creek overflow. The county will handle any utility reloca-tion work necessary to assist GDOT.
* Heiskell appointed Charles Mathis to the Northwest Georgia Joint De-velopment Authority board of directors. Mathis replaces former board mem-ber Render Cash.
* Heiskell approved a zoning request to change the land use of The Shat-tuck Inc. on Shattuck Industrial Boulevard from commercial to industrial. The land will be used by Trans/South Services Inc., a company that builds air conditioners for buses at Blue Bird. The move will create approximately 25 new jobs.
* Heiskell approved a zoning request to change the land use of Ronnie Martin’s property at 10972 Ga. 136 from commercial to agricultural.
* Heiskell approved a zoning request to change the land use of Craig W. Walker’s property at 1581 Beaumont Drive from residential to agricultural.
* Heiskell approved a residential rezoning request from the residents of Forest Way Drive for their property.
* Heiskell approved a zoning request to change the land use of James Morris at 125 Heggie Road from residential to commercial.
* Heiskell approved a zoning request to change the land use of Lena Burrows at 4693 North Marbletop Road from residential to neighborhood commercial.
* Heiskell tabled a zoning request to change the land use of Charles White on Mission Ridge Road from neighborhood commercial to general commercial.
* Heiskell tabled a zoning request to change the land use of Steve and Rosemary Poole at 33 Clyde Byrd Road from residential to agricultural.
The next scheduled commissioner’s meeting is Wednesday, Jan. 30, at 10 a.m. at 101 S. Duke St., LaFayette